Labels

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Evolving from a 'Weeaboo' to an 'Otaku' who Listens

I personally don't think every single person who claimed themselves as otaku are weeaboos.
As long as they understand the word and understand where to appropriately use it.
You all must have known the word 'weeaboo', a term for Japanese fanboy/fangirl that is mostly used for fans who is too much obsessed with his/her hobby that never tried to understand the others. If you still don't understand what the term meant... try google search, maybe.

Now, as an ex-weeaboo myself, I'll be writing my opinions and my story... I apologize if some facts are wrong in this post, plus I apologize of my horrible grammar. After all, I'm a human who can makes mistakes, and English are not my first language :)


The first time I actually knew about the term weeaboo is from the tumblr 'weaboostories'. It's a tumblr blog where people tells about their encounter with a weeaboo. However I heard the tumblr was closed down due to abuse reports. I personally thinks the owner is acting nicely and even filters the anime-flaming posts. But well, maybe some people just can't understand. Let's continue on.

Then I realize, how big of a weeaboo I used to be! I worship Japan when I knew absolutely nothing real about it. I use Japanese words in Indonesian conversations. I was acting egoistically to people and discriminates people who doesn't like anime. No wonder people doesn't like me. Especially my male classmates in 7th grade. Hey, you guys, even that I forgotten most of your names already, if you're reading this by some way, I'm sorry for my attitude. And oh, also sorry for my attitudes, people who knew me since my username was 'Ayachan107'!

*ahem*

Even that I regretted my weeaboo phase, I realize that there's nothing I can do about the past. I have to move on, being more better in the future than I am now. I still have a bad habit of yelling and hitting myself for reminding a bad thing I did in the past. But I realizes I could still become an even better person. 

 I knew I'm still having several symptoms of my weeaboo phase (I'm still a little too selfish and wants some attentions! Though it's not as bad as before), but well, I'm improving, that's why I tried to write on this subject. 

You can be an 'otaku' who have friends that doesn't have same interest with you.
Unfortunately I am a shy girl who can't normally start a conversation so I couldn't write about this subject ^^;;
And that's enough for my story, let's continue on about my opinion.

What many people doesn't like about weeaboos, that they never listens to a building, non-flaming critique about themselves. Sure, flames such as 'stupid weeb just go away' (I once got something similar to that but I decided not to listen ^^;; ) shouldn't be listened. But the problem here is that they always thinks they're superior just because they're different, and doesn't need critiques. It's a bad thing for everyone, not only weeaboos, to think that they're automatically superior by being different. It is okay to be different, but don't automatically think you're superior by that. You have to prove it, so people would know. 

So if you think you're superior because you're different, but people keep on critiquing you, try to reflect your actions. They probably aren't haters who only flames (but if they are, just ignore. We had enough of flame wars everywhere), but nice people that doesn't want you to embarrass yourself.  

Anyways. The term for 'thinking of being superior because they think they are different', I believe, is 'special snowflake'. Try looking for yourself. (Psst. I admit I can be a special snowflake sometimes ^^;; As with this post, I'm sorry.)

Also, what annoys almost everyone about weeaboos is that they tend to not respect other people, be childish, selfish and not to care about other things besides their hobbies. It's not good to be too selfish and doesn't respect people. As you mature out, and you realize what's wrong with you, you'll regret it. Sure, human beings are selfish beings at start. But there are some boundaries, I think. 

I experienced this, so I kind of understand. I admit I still did this at times. I think it is okay to be sulking in hobbies, as long as we don't be too absorbed and deluded by it, and realizes the boundary and our 'job' as a member of society. 

Anime, manga, isn't real life, is what we should have known. Even the most realistic slice-of-life are not reality. It is okay to be a little absorbed, as long as you understand what's real and what's not (I have written about what should you do and don't do with your 'waifu' in Indonesian here).

So yeah, it's a good thing to listen. Being 'otaku' is fine, as long as you understand what's wrong and what's right, and how to respect people.

Sure, there are heaps other reason why people hates weeaboos besides what I written here. But this is just several that I think it's mostly annoying by lots of people. To those who are judged as weeaboos, try to reflect about yourselves before you said anything. I also think it's not wise to think all anime fans are weeaboo. It's like judging every rock-and-roll fans are all bad people just because several of them fights each other in a concert, and it's not good.... 

It's just my opinion, please forgive me if there's something wrong about this post. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts