Labels

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Kagerou Daze Official Anthology -DOWNER-


Actually I got it since... weeks ago? One month ago? But I didn't feel like reviewing it until now.

Anyways.... Kagerou Daze Official Anthology -DOWNER- is a 'sad' and 'depressing' anthology for Kagerou Project series, an opposite to the -UPPER- anthology which is a 'pop' and 'happy' anthology.

As it was with most anthology, it contains many guest artists, which I noticed most of them were drawing manga for Comic Gene, where the Kagerou Daze manga was serialized. The guest artists who made comics here are Itokichi, Chawanmushi, Kochi Ryousuke, Okazaki Oka, Arisaka Oka, Akamura Saki, Kiritani Subaru, Hisame Uta, Youko, Sayuki, Yukiji, Satou Mahiro, Ryuusee and Wannyanpuu. Yes, that is all--- you heard it right, Shidu didn't make a comic here but he does have an illustration.

However, lack of Shidu comic doesn't make this less good--- it's good enough, but I think some of them didn't quite fit the 'depressing' category, so I would probably give this 8.5/10.... Ah, yeah. Unlike UPPER, this anthology have spoilers for the second novel, though if you're into Kagerou Project fandom you should have known most of them already.

A scene from Sakura no Hana ga Chiru Mae Ni
I really enjoyed this entire anthology, but I do have my favorites out of them! Below, I'm going to write only about my top 4 favorites. Some of them were translated on Tumblr if you do take notice!

0 to 1 no Sakura --- Sakura of 0 and 1 (by Chawanmushi)
Haruka invites Takane to go cherry blossom viewing (hanami). However, on the date Haruka fell sick and couldn't go.
This one is just... too adorable. All hail Tsundere-Takane! Chawanmushi draws Takane's tsundere expressions really well (though I didn't really like much how they draw Haruka), and the story seems eligible to be an actual part of the canon.

Sakura no Hana ga Chiru Mae Ni --- Before the Sakura Falls (by Okazaki Oka)
Takane feels like Haruka is avoiding her lately, especially after Shintarou said that Takane might have been hated by Haruka.
HaruTaka again. Yes, this pairing is wonderful and heart-breaking, especially in this comic. It could pass as canon. This is definitely my favorite out of DOWNER, and Haruka looked really good in Okazaki Oka's style.

Nakama --- Friends (by Kiritani Subaru)
Seto and Kano talked about how Kido and Momo becomes quick friends.
This strongly hints one sided Kano->Kido, but that's not the only reason I love it. I like how Kiritani Subaru draws Kagerou Project characters. Unfortunately it's not that much of a heartbreaking story, but this comic matches my headcanons of Kano.

Memento Mori (by Ryuusee)
Seto and Mary's everlasting love.
This is a simple but heartbreaking and beautiful love story of SetoMary. I'm not that fond of Ryuusee's artstyle, but it worked really well here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts